The University of Melbourne Academic Board has revised assessment of the Weighted Average Marks (WAM) for Semester 1 2020, as a result of the effect of the COVID-19 global pandemic. The Board has been considering this and has listened to the broad range of views shared with us and both acknowledge, and greatly appreciate, the diversity of perspectives of our student body.
学术委员会(The University of Melbourne Academic Board)已经修订了2020年第一学期的加权平均分数(WAM)评估，这是由于COVID-19全球大流行的影响。大学一直在考虑这个问题，并听取了与我们分享的广泛观点，并承认并非常赞赏我们学生群体观点的多样性。
We also acknowledge that the effects of the current situation may vary from student to student. In determining any adjustments with respect to the WAM, the Academic Board has been guided by the principle of fairness to ensure no student is disadvantaged as a result.
The Academic Board has resolved that results from Semester 1, 2020 subjects will not be included in the calculation of a student’s Weighted Average Mark (WAM) unless the mark achieved for the subject is equal to or higher than the WAM the student had achieved at the beginning of the semester.
The revised WAM calculation will apply as follows, noting the following arrangements and exceptions: 修订后的WAM计算方法将适用如下，注意到下列安排和例外情况:
- The WAM for programs that comprise 50 points or less in total will be calculated using normal practice, as a benchmark WAM based on prior study in that program for a student cannot be established.
- No first semester 2020 subject will be included in the WAM calculation for a student who has yet to complete 50 points of study in their enrolled program prior to 2020, as a benchmark WAM for the student in that program cannot be established (this applies to students not covered by exception (1) above).
- For the Bachelors (Honours) program, subjects that receive a weighted mark below a student’s entry WAM for that program will be excluded from the WAM calculation. For the avoidance of doubt, a student’s entry WAM, in this context, is the WAM presented by the student to meet the selection resolution for that program, not the minimum WAM required for selection into the program. This applies to students who have commenced their Honours year in the first semester 2020.
- All subject scores will be recorded on the transcript.
i. Where the result does not contribute to the WAM, it will be recorded against a new code. This code identifies subjects excluded from the WAM because of COVID-19.
- At the conclusion of their studies, students can request that all results recorded against the COVID-19 code be included in the WAM calculation. Any such subjects will then be coded as per usual practice.
- The revised WAM calculation does not apply to any subjects in Higher Degrees by Research.